|Data logic QD2430 barcode scanners|
The barcode scanners are the electronic tools that are used for reading and deliver a multitude of the printed barcodes to a computer. These scanners include lens sensors, lenses as well as the ‘light source’ for the purpose of translating all the ‘optical impulses’ to the ‘electrical impulses’. The barcode scanner comprises of the decoder circuitry which analyses the image data of the barcode which the sensor provides and sends the barcode content to the scanner’s ‘output port’.
Classification of the Barcode Scanners
There are many kinds of the barcode scanners from the single line barcode scanners to the ‘two-dimensional’ imaging scanners which can be classified based on the technology employed and the housing design.
Based on the Technology Used
- Omnidirectional Barcode Readers: The omnidirectional scanners use a series of the straight or curved scanning lines in various in the ‘starburst form’. The scanners generate different patterns of beams in various orientations that permit reading of the barcodes to the ‘barcode readers’ in different angles. Many of the barcode readers make use of the ‘polygonal’ single rotating mirrors as well as various ‘fixed mirrors’ for generating the complex scan patterns.
- Camera-Based Readers: The ‘camera-based’ readers are the 2D barcode scanners which make use of the image processing procedures and the camera for decoding a bar code. The video camera readers and the large ‘field-of-view’ readers are included in this category.
Based on Housing Design
- Handheld Scanner: The handheld scanner is equipped with a handle as well as a trigger button which helps in switching on the ‘light source’.
- Stationary Scanner: The ‘stationary scanner’ is either wall or table mounted and are used widely at the ‘checkout counters’ in the supermarkets and the retail shops.
- PDA scanner: The PDA scanner or the ‘Auto-ID’ PDA are the inbuilt barcode scanners or are the attached barcode readers.
- Automatic reader: The automatic reader is a ‘back office’ tool which is used for the purpose of reading the ‘barcode documents’ at the rate of 50,000/hour.
- Cordless or Wireless Scanner: The cordless scanner is operated with batteries and is used for the purpose of transferring the data to any connected device like the PC.
- This is a summary of the different barcode scanners that are widely used in different industries. For more information, call our pos expert @ 0800112970